Hot ImagesHot ImagesHot ImagesHot ImagesHot Images
Hot ImagesHot ImagesHot ImagesHot ImagesHot Images

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

Today, we celebrate the life of Martin Luther King, Jr.





Text of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech, August 28, 1963, Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D.C.

If Dr. King were still alive, he'd be 84. I wonder how  he would react to the playing of the race card, and the ridiculous, unfounded charges of racism so unfairly applied, and the ever-growing list of allegedly racial "code words."

Would he condemn that behavior?

I hope so.

Would he engage in it?

I hope not.

I like to think that Dr. King would not be an advocate of the soft bigotry of low expectations.

I like to think that he would not approve of the culture of dependency.

I like to think that Dr. King would encourage freedom, personal responsibility, and opportunities to determine one's lot in life rather than supporting the subjugation of the people to a massive, centralized government.